Monday, November 15, 2010

The BIG 3-'O'

I know some people might find this to be too early for me to think on these terms..and yet I feel it isn't too far off...

what truly got to me though was a girl's post called

It spoke about the emotional risks we take in our 20's that somehow are far more dangerous than the risks we take on a physical level...

And that got me thinking...what if I one day got up and turned 30...had a family where I wasn't the child anymore...what then....

I looked back through the last couple of years of my life and realised that I've had a luxury not many could have...even at my age...I guess its because of who I am and how my parents understand me...

I've had the luxuries to shift my ambitions of being a commerce grad to a child psychologist to a journalist to a literature professor to an editor in a publication house....to currently a teacher cum researcher in various methodologies of education...

And lord knows what comes next..

I've had my friends who've questioned my jumps....I've had them wonder why I never quite focus...but somehow I shift along with a confidence, knowing that there is this safety net right beneath me...and however old I am...and I am quite ahead in my 20's...that net would remain...

and then it strikes me...

in a few years the roles would be reversed...or at least it will from my part...a few years and I would be that safety net...I would be looking after that someone who would have ambitions ...and if she/he is anything like me.. would have that urge to jump around trying everything... unconsciously knowing that I'd be down there holding that net no matter what...

ok STOPPPPPP halt and REVERSE .....


like always I never end up writing my posts on what I plan to begin it with in the first place....but this time I will....

the BIG 3-O... I have almost 5 years before that number knocks on my door...and somehow it got me thinking about the risks I took during my 20's ... risks of the heart and career paths....I've jumped around as I pleased and took chances where I knew I might fall and hurt myself...despite that safety net below me...

and yet it got me thinking...however deep I may fall...it would always be a fall I would take...

I and no one else...and so it gave me the freedom to pick up the pieces of my heart or pride or whatever got shattered in the process and jump up and walk again....

but what when life fast forwards into my 30's...??? life would have to be trodden with care...the stakes would rise...so high that one wrong step would just not pull you down but it would bring all that along with you which you may never be able to pick up after the mess you made...

good lord I sound like a girl with 4 long lives lived behind her.... and yet I can't seem to shake this feeling off....

8 comments:

Vikram Waman Karve said...

Nicely written.
Scary isn't it - from the luxuries of the 20s to the responsiblities of the 30s?

Paulami said...

oh don't scare me with all this on the night of which everyone claimed that you and i are just 4yrs old :P maintain that kiddo dignity ;P

but in retrospect, you have still a lot more to do and live it through too

Aashi said...

@vikram...yes it is :|...

@polo...yeye i knw i guess tht four year old would never go away...lets just hope my kids r born with a basic idea abt tht ;)..

Sid said...

I don't think 30 is anything big... 20s are definitely for taking risks and building the foundations for the future... that's when you work your ass off to build the cocoon.
But I believe God created 30s for us to enjoy... that's it... otherwise he would have directly skipped to the 40s. Responsibilities will be there, they still are around... then, they will be a little more pronounced... but kya hai?? dekh lenge...:)

Enjoy and best of luck for everything... :)

Nalini Hebbar said...

Every decade in ones life has a value...each as imp as the other...you are lucky you are not forced into marriage in your 3rd decade as we were and are allowed to explore and learn.

Purba said...

The 30's are the best. You are at your prime and going full throttle. And believe me it keeps getting better.

Aashi said...

hmmm...thnx sid tht kinda simplifies it i guess...although i think looking at it from here it still looks creepy... but thnx newyz n all the best 2 u2 :)


right on nalini...i totally agree with u...each moment has to be enjoyed...but sumtimes the unknwn is scary...dntcha think???...n ur ryt i have been lucky most of my life :)


@purba...lol...with u n sid saying this..who knows i myt just end up looking fwd 2 the 3-O afteral :D

Gaurav Arora said...

I love the way you have lived your life so far.
many people die without living one life, you lived four. Life's gotta be such. Play it hard,
Play it real time,
Don't ask for Ctrl+Z.
Show the real head beyond the sky, that here's a better gamer!
Life is meant to be 'lived' not to be dealt!!
I love your spirit.

I would love to read more of you..

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...